Friday, May 11, 2007

Dating Stories 101


I was out with my girlfriends a little bit ago when we started talking about Good Dates Gone Bad.

I don't know if it's just that funny or pathetic the amount of stories we had about these 'gentlemen' we dated.

In college, I was dating this guy that was an amazing baseball player. He started his career on the Yankees minor league. I can say I knew him when he was a small town P-L-A-Y-E-R.

We were totally into each other, studying together, talking forever on the phone, etc., etc., when my good friend (at the time) was having a huge birthday party at her house.
It was close to the end of the semester so everyone was kind of anxious for finals to be over, school to be out, and parties to begin.

Well...in the tradition of girl going out with boy, he picked me up and we went to this party together. I was designated driver, so I took his keys when we got there.

We were all talking about plans for the summer, work, if anyone had summer school...all that. The music was the fashionable, and never-miss-a-beat type for a party; all attention to the girl of the night, my best friend. I was so excited for her and happy that she was having a good time.

Then, about 15 minutes later, after a conversation with another girlfriend, I realize Mr. Yankee is nowhere to be found. I walk into the house, past the loud speakers, almost to the kitchen....when I hear a loud BANG from the bathroom. "What was that?!", my other good friend says.
I'm about to say 'I don't know'; when BFF's laughter comes through the door.

I went numb.

My friend and I just look at each other in disbelief. 'Is this REALLY happening?!!'
I walked out the front door into a slew of his friends asking where he was. I was so mad but all that came out was, "I don't know!"
About five minutes later, his friend comes out looking at me shaking his head, apologizing for what a **** Mr. Yankee was. I didn't want to make a big deal in front of everyone. I didn't want to show that I was really pissed, and then hurt. So I said nothing.

I sat there pretending to have a good time for 2 1/2 hours. Then I reached my breaking point. I realized I had his keys, and did the only honorable thing a designated driver would do.
I made sure he wouldn't be driving that night.

I started walking to the street and told my friend to follow me. He didn't even ask me where we were going. I took his keys from my pocket, stuck it in the ignition and drove a half-hour out of the way and parked at a grocery store.

I could have taken the higher road that night....I could have.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that song! It's perfect for all those jerks who SHOULD get what they deserve!
Who is that?