Sunday, October 01, 2006

Addictions

What is an addiction? Well, they say that in order to start a habit (or break one for that matter) you need to go the said 21 days. If you do (or don't do) something for 21 days, it will stick.

Okay, I understand that, and have actually tried it. And it does work! But then there's these things called relapses. I'm not on a drinking binge or something, so don't get me wrong. I'm just talking about anything. A big addiction of mine is Chocolate. There's no way I would even attempt in stopping that. But do I wish I could let it go? Sometimes, when I get on the scale. My goal is 120. Think I can do it?

That would result if I can create the habit of running every day. Which I love doing. I love feeling the sweat, the burn...feeling out of breath and knowing it was worth it. When I run really hard, it reminds me of Hell Week in Track back in H.S. I hated it, but it felt good!

And what about other addictions? That friend you wish you can stop talking to b/c they make you so mad sometimes and you wonder "What's the point?", but then your realize as much as you hate them, they're your best friend for a reason.

That blog you wish you could stop commenting on that your friend started, but it's just so damn funny, or heartwarming...or funny!

Calling your sister to ask her what the ingredients are for that awesome chocolate cake. I could write it down, and I think I did; but maybe I call her cause I feel the need to talk to someone as crazy as I am.

I'm addicted to taking pictures. I could take a million pictures in a day if my battery on my digital camera could keep up!

Dancing!!!! I could go on...Salsa, ballet, hip-hop...just plain going to a club and feeling the music. Oh! Music! I'm addicted to that too. I have a million and one songs of all kinds of music. I love it all.

Psychology, I never get tired of it! People thought I was crazy to have that as my major in college, but I LOVED it! Don't you have to be a little crazy for that major anyway? I think it's a requirement.

I'm addicted to love. (NOT the Robert Palmer song, but the real thing). I know that's why I'm a Wedding Planner. I love being in love.

And believe it or not, I think Love is a really BIG addiction. When you fall in love with someone, the process of trying to 'fall out' of it takes so long!

Like when you break up with someone for any other reason except you made a HUGE mistake and the guy is CRAZY, stalker, calls 29 times a day psycho (because it's really easy to fall out of love then), you still have some feelings for them!

And more times than not, you're going to find something that reminds you of them, be it a song, or a car they drove or whatever...and then you're back thinking "I wonder what they're doing now..."
I do that still!...to my husband! I will hear a song that we used to listen to when we were dating, and revert back to that time. If he's in the car with me I'll do the stupid wife thing and say "Do you remember this song?!" And just to humor me he'll get all mushy.
(I do love that though)

But even with past loves/experiences, we know we loved them for a reason.
They brought out the best in you, the worst, happy times, fights, trips you took together, first dances, phone calls that lasted till the sun came up, first kisses, poetry, soul-revealing letters, mixed tapes to mixed CD's with songs they that made them think of you, or you two together, proposals, marriage.

We even love the break up. Break ups go down in history! Look at Casablanca. Bogart let his ex, his one true love get away. Gone With the Wind: Rhett left Scarlett at the door...he didn't give a damn anymore.

Which I believe Rhett didn't...at the time. But I think he came back, I'd like to think he did anyway. And in between, you KNOW he thought about Scarlett. She was his kryptonite.

And my new total favorite...The Notebook. What a break up! What an ending as well...
How sad would you be if you met your soulmate and couldn't be with them? For those who haven't seen the movie...I won't say anything else. But totally worth seeing it. Even if you are a guy!

I guess whether it was good or bad...like the old saying goes "It all happened for a reason." We wouldn't be who we are today for those people/experiences and for that I'm grateful.
I don't ever want to forget any of those memories, good or bad.

So here's to addictions...and hopefully the one I will never quit: Love.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simone,
You always seem to have a "Sex and the City" reasoning to your writing. I'm gonna call you Carrie from now on!;)
-Meg

Anonymous said...

It's all true too!
-M