Monday, February 12, 2007

Grammy Night

I was so excited last night to watch the Grammys. This is like the Super Bowl for me. Even when I was a little girl, I LOVED watching this award show.

I think I was the only one in elementary school that taped The Grammys every year, and would watch all the performances over and over again.

I originally got my love of music from my family. My mom and dad were very influenced by music and my sisters and I acquired our own ear and style of what we liked.
My dad has been out of the picture for quite some time, but I thank him...and especially my mom for that love.

When I first heard that The Police were the opening number, I set my DVR a few minutes before 8:00 just to make sure I didn't miss a thing!

The first album of theirs I remember listening to was Synchronicity. My mom put it on the record player the very night she bought it. She had been divorced for three years, and had full control of the stereo. She turned the volume up and had my sisters come into the living room to dance. She was fun!
By the time she flipped the new, shiny black vinyl to the second side, I was on the floor with my ear up to the speaker. I did that with so many records she played....just laid on the floor and took in every note, drum beat, range, back-beat and of all, the feeling within the song.
I was six years old, and deathly intrigued with "Every Breath You Take".

After hearing that album, I looked for the other Police records she had. For a mom, she had some really cool music...for that day in time! Madonna, Prince, Billy Joel, Culture Club, Michael Jackson, Blondie...I'm leaving out a TON and getting off track.

When The Police took the stage last night, I had chills all over! They were amazing! I was sad that they only played one song and the fact that the crowd was singing along in the chorus showed they wanted more. They totally deserved their standing ovation.

I thought the 49th Grammy Awards were overall one of the best to date. I loved all the performances! I was even piqued by The Dixie Chicks' performance "Not Ready to Make Nice".
Shakira, Mayer/Legend/Bailey, Beyonce, RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS!!, and M.J. Blige did great. ALL the performances were awesome! Oh, Smokey singing "Tracks of my Tears" tugged at me a little. I was happy he sang that, he's legendary.

Yes, Justin Timberlake has come a long way since 'N Sync, and he's HOT! And I love his music!! And his performances rocked!!


Okay! There, I said it! (I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this, but it had to be done!)


1 comment:

liz said...

great post! I didn't know your mom was hip on cool music- how did I not ever know that ?! That iss awesome. Makes me want to play my music more around the house (not just in the car).