Friday, February 09, 2007

Truffle...Sicles



I love truffles. I love seeing new recipes on how to make them, etc.

One of my favorite kinds would be with ganache in the center of the truffle. This chocolate is so creamy and just melts in your mouth.

A childhood favorite of mine were those Jell-O Pudding Pops. I used to beg my mom to buy those. I never really liked Popsicles...they would melt too fast and then fall of the stick and you're stuck with this sticky red, blue, green...mess running down your arm. If I were to eat any kind of popsicles, it would be the one in the plastic tube. Much easier to enjoy.

Back to the fudge pops. Yes, they were my favorite. Throughout the years, I had a hard time finding these Bill Cosby-endorsed treats, and eventually gave up looking for them.

That is, until I got the ultimate recipe. One that mixed my love of delectable chocolate with a good old wooden stick (or a plastic popsicle mold). It's made of a ganache-type mixture...and frozen for a cold treat!

I figured I would make them for my daughter, whose love for Chocolate is growing by the minute. I have to blame myself for that and will have to save her from my friends calling her "Mini-Me" (Hi Amy).

When I was single, a bunch of girlfriends and I would make lunch and hang out after church on Sundays. Very few friends would help me clean up in my kitchen because they knew how picky I was on how things were done. One friend attempted to help and while she was filling up the ice-cube trays paused and asked "Can I fill these or do you have a certain way of doing this too?" I told her to go ahead, but she knew I had a method to even that.

I am happy to say that two kids have calmed me down a little and when making these fudge-pops, I have let go and poured right out of the bowl! She'd be so proud of me.

Anyway, I've decided to share this recipe, which I hope will inspire others to turn on "Nick-At Night" and watch the Cosby show for old time's sake.


BEST FUDGE POPS EVER
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) heavy cream
8 ounces (1 cup) whole milk
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Special Equipment: Icepop molds

Place chopped chocolate into a medium glass mixing bowl. Set aside.

Combine heavy cream, milk, and cocoa powder in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk constantly until cocoa is dissolved and mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Let stand for 2 to 3 minutes and then whisk gently until all chocolate is melted. Whisk in the vanilla extract.

Divide the mixture evenly among the molds and place in the freezer. Freeze for at least 4 hours or until solid. Fudgepops can be held in the freezer for up to 1 week in an airtight container.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

liz said...

i got my molds today so we can try it out this weekend! yum.

Laura said...

where do you get the molds at? is this something you can pick up at wal-mart(with the heaviest whiskey tango accent!lol)?

Unknown said...

Laura, you're funny.
Sadly, that whiskey-tango accent is one heard EVERY DAY here in the South, darlin! I love being greeted by "Honey, you're a Yankee! That's okay, we'll butter you up!" And that was just today.

To answer you questions, I got mine at Williams Sonoma (when I lived near one), but I think you can get them at Wal-Mart, or Target too.